Covid-19 Unanswered Questions & Contentious Issues
There is a lot we do not know for sure
Virus source/ origin – man or beast (host) bats/ snakes/ birds/ rodents or something else
- What is the source of Covid-19?
- Where did Covid-19 originate? [Conjecture; Laboratory, Wuhan, China/ animal sold in open market/ other scenario]
- Was it manufactured?
Virus mutation – what original virus..
- Did Covid-19 mutate from some other virus? It looks like flu virus (corona)… What does that tell us?
Virus transmission medium – from body fluids to water (e.g. sewerage), air-borne
- Is Covid-19 only transmitted through body fluids [sweat, breath-vapour, sputum, semen, blood, faeces, urine….]or other mediums too?
- What happens to underground water sources if we bury people who are contaminated with the virus?
- What happens to rivers, dams, and other water systems if people do not have sewerage systems or the sewerage systems are faulty as is the case in many municipalities across the country?
- How long can the virus survive in vapour and what happens to the vapour in air-conditioning systems in offices, hospitals, factories, cars and other enclosed spaces where it can collect/ multiply?
Virus hosts/ carriers – people & which animals?
- What effect will the virus have on our pets? [dogs, cats, birds, rats, … – they may or may not show symptoms, but could they be carriers/ hosts?]
- Are our pets at risk – which ones?
- Are there other carriers? [insects, animals, reptiles, birds, bats, …]
Virus inoculation – no vaccine, immunization available and will take at least 18 months to produce, and even longer to test properly so this is not an immediate viable proposition
- How long will it take to get a vaccine, and if they do, how safe will the vaccine be?
Virus antidote – no cure, remedy
There is nothing much at this stage except to build up you immune system as much as possible and stay as healthy as possible.
Virus antibodies – People who have survived the virus have anti-bodies.
- Would it be able to help others, and if so, how much is required and how long will it last?
- Obviously they can get sick again, but will probably build up even better immunity (if its not too soon after the first infection).
Virus gestation/ incubation period – 3-14 days, now it is believed it can be as long as 28 days.
- How long is the actual incubation period? [inconclusive and contradictory results]
Virus life expectancy without host – no of minutes/ hours/ days/ weeks/ months??? 2 weeks? There is much contention, so it is unknown.
Virus parameters – temperature, moisture, surfaces, pH? The data varies; copper 3 – 4 hours, fabrics 3-4 days [ conjecture, little conclusive proof because it depends on other factors too like e.g. humidity, temperature, etc.]
- How long does Covid-19 survive in water? In the air? How likely is this to change?
Virus aversions – ultra-violet lights? Kills 99% viruses.
- What does ultra-violet do to Covid-19?
Covid-19 testing –
- How effective/ accurate is the Covid-19 testing; the collection, the kits, the results?
- The testers are exposed to thousands of people, some have the virus some not, how can we be sure they are not the ones transferring the virus on their clothes, the equipment?
- At our current rate of Covid-19 testing it will take us more than 16 years to test each person once. [These calculations are based on the census numbers, so does not include illegal immigrants and other visitors.]
Covid-19 Impact –
- What is the real impact of the virus? E.g. in South Africa only a small percentage of the population has been tested (less than 4%) so we have no idea what the situation will be like in 2 – 4 weeks’ time, or later when the lockdown is lifted.
- The stats are unpredictable, so we have no idea what the real impact will be.
Body disposal –
- How are they going to deal with the volume of bodies? [sterile removal from homes – body bags, who will do the removal, how, by what means, and disposal – mass graves/ mass cremations],
- Will funerals be allowed? What form will it take? What are the max numbers permitted at a funeral, if allowed? Distances still 1 m? What other conditions?
You probably have lots of questions of your own….
Like to add them here? Concerns, comments, questions.
Join the Conquer Covid-19 Mastermind Movement
For the smartest solutions sign up here to become part of the movement to Conquer Covid-19
Covid-19 statistics are suspect
The numbers are not a true reflection of actual numbers infected, for one, because millions of people have not been tested.
Stats for Covid-19
- Autopsies have not been done on every single person that has died so we do not know how many have died from Covid-19 or another affliction and whether they died because e.g. their immune system was already compromised before the infection.
- Even health authorities are not sure how effective the testing is neither on the collecting side nor the testing side of the process:
- Collection of samples can be problematic
- Testing may not show up all cases
- Gaps between testing can have a negative impact on the numbers
- Contamination by health workers/ handling
- Lab tests not 100% accurate
- Even though individuals are tested, some may show no symptoms.
- Tests (done) is not a reflection of how many people have been tested because some individuals (like health care workers) have been tested more than once and recovered individuals have probably also been tested more than once.
We do not know what the rate of infection is or is likely to be when we lift the lockdown for the same reason as above and because there is a time-lag between infection, symptoms and death or healing.
Apparently the time-lag is about 14 – 28 days, and can be as short as 4 days from symptoms to death.
At this stage: Overall Average of confirmed cases based on the stats available:
Death rate is around 3.4% and recovery rate about 10 times that according to Google [at time of research]
NOTE: This is during (more or less) global lockdown, and does not reflect what will happen when we are allowed to move around freely again.
Death rate from seasonal flu
Stats also does not provide numbers of the following:
- How many people were tested and have antibodies (recovered before being tested)…
- How many people weren’t tested and showed little or no symptoms and recovered…
- How many people died of the Covid-19 virus that were neither tested nor recorded….
- How many people died because of a compromised immune system and other pre-conditions or health issues that were aggravated by the virus (they would probably have died anyway, merely hastened by Covid-19)…
Add your comments and questions here ⇒ Comments & Questions
CORONAVIRUS STATISTICS SOURCES
https://sacoronavirus.co.za/ – South African Coronavirus Statistics
COVID MAP John Hopkins – John Hopkins University Research Statistics for Covid-19
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ – World Coronavirus statistics