Setting SMART Goals
- Specific – Measurable – Achievable – Realistic and Time-based…
- Tasks and to-do lists
- Making sure you are as busy as can be to fill your day… for whatever reason (there are many of these).
Smart Goals are much more and should take into account your Values, Purpose, Dreams, Vision, not to mention Needs, Wants and Habits – or they are bound to fail, either miserably or prolong the agony.
Alice in Wonderland
It reminds me of Alice in Wonderland who asked in which direction she should go. The cat asked her where she wanted to go and she said she didn’t know. He then said: “If you don’t know, it doesn’t matter which way you go” (or something to that effect). Are you an Alice in Wonderland person? Is life happening to you? To which degree are you making life happen the way you want it to be?
Where do you want to go?
Knowing what you want has a number of perks.
- You know where to go and look for it.
- You can work out what to do to get it.
- You can find out who can help you get what you want.
- You know when you are moving towards it or away from it so you can adjust whatever needs adjusting.
- You can spot opportunities that will help you get what you want faster, sooner, better, or more of what you want.
- You can identify problems that might stop you getting what you want.
- You know when you have got it.
If you don’t know what you want it has a number of drawbacks.
- You get caught up in other people’s agendas.
- You help others achieve their dreams, wants, desires at the expense of your own. (They will not thank you for it, I can promise you that).
- Life passes you by; you get older, you have less energy, your health may suffer, you can get sick.
- Nothing makes up for that feeling that you are selling yourself short, no substitute (sex, drugs, things, work, wealth, etc.) can make you feel better.
More than mere survival
Here we are also not talking about the day-to-day activities to make a living and survive; we have been doing that for almost as long as we have been on this planet.
No, we are talking about the things that you wish for, desire, are passionate about – but that gets neglected, avoided, buried, or suppressed because you are too busy, don’t have time, have too many obligations, too old, too young, whatever…
As long as you neglect this ‘calling’, you will have to struggle against your true nature, and that my friend is not easy.
Symptoms that you are avoiding your ‘calling’
Some, all, or most of the following: accidents, chaos, getting hurt, seemingly insurmountable problems, out of sorts, discontent, disgruntled, disappointment, chronic dissatisfaction, unhappy, bored out of your mind, frustrated, feel suppressed, yearning for more, better, different, and so on….
- How long can you tolerate this?
- What are you going to say at the end of your life if nothing changed?
- How will you feel if you never tried?
Step up to setting SMART Goals
If you know what you want – Get SMART GOALS – to heed your calling and make your dream a reality.
“Be ready when opportunity knocks… Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet.” – Roy D Chapin Jr.