9 Human Intelligences
Humans possess the cognitive abilities to learn, form concepts, benefit from past experience, act purposefully, adapt to new situations, understand, reason, recognize patterns, comprehend ideas, plan, solve problems, make decisions, retain information, perceive relationships and analogies, calculate, imagine, use language to communicate, have the mental capacity to acquire and apply knowledge, come to logical conclusions, etc. etc. etc.
- Logic Intelligence (quick insight, easily solve problems that involve logic, organize, discipline, could include aspects of mathematics, statistics, formulae, maps, systems, processes ); left brain
- Kinaesthetic Intelligence (ball sense, depth perception, size, shape, space, distance, good coordination, dexterity, motor skills, bodily, strength, suppleness, fitness, power, energy, vigor, vitality, magnetism, ); right brain
- Spatial Intelligence (imagine/ create/ draw 2-D, 3-D images/ objects – gaming, architecture, design, multimedia, choreography, produce; plays, make movies, create TV programs); right brain
- Musical Intelligence (perfect pitch, rhythm, harmonize, play music/instrument by ear, compose); whole brain
- Social/ Interpersonal Intelligence (influence and/or inspire (self & others), social skills, networking, get the message across, connect, build rapport, evoke trust); whole brain
- Communication Intelligence ( the way we get a messages across, interact with others and get our needs met with words, gestures, facial expression, posture, proximity/ closeness, sounds, grunts, whistles and other signals).
- Linguistic Intelligence (express self in words; verbal & writing, understand others, listen and communicate well); mostly left brain for the wordy aspects, but right brain has to do with sound, pronunciation, tone, timbre and of course – non-verbal communication the subtle cues in facial expression, breathing, posture and other bodily adjustments (93% of communication).
- Intra-personal Intelligence (deep connection with self, self-mastery, Sensory Acuity, nonverbal cues and communication, awareness, mindfulness); right brain
- Emotional Intelligence (in tune with own and other’s emotional state; love, hate, sadness, joy, courage, fear, empathy, compassion, apathy, excitement as well as collective/ group/ team/ company or audience … feelings/ disposition/ attitude/ frame of mind/ spirit/ morale/ mood/ temper/ mentality/ sentiment); right brain
- Abstract Intelligence (think in abstract terms and concepts, this would include some forms of mathematics and visionary ideas); whole brain
- Spiritual Intelligence (deep connection to the bigger picture, universal, extra-sensory, nurturing relationship with the environment and everything in it, inspiration, envisioning, visionary, imaginative, oneness, ecstasy, bliss, exultation, adulation and other peak experiences/ episodes/ phenomena); right brain
Intelligence Synonyms: intellectual/mental capacity, intellect, mind, brain, brains, brainpower, prowess, powers of reasoning (rational), judgement, reason, reasoning, understanding, comprehension, acumen, aptitude, wit, sense, insight, perceptiveness, perception, perspicaciousness, perspicacity, penetration, discernment, sharpness, quickness of mind, quick-wittedness, shrewd, smartness, canniness, astuteness, intuition, acuity, alertness, cleverness, brilliance, aptness, ability, giftedness, brilliance, genius, wisdom, talent; informal: braininess. These are tested by standard IQ tests and questionnaires.
These synonyms pertain mostly to left-brain intelligence and do not fully include e.g. the bodily, sensory, imaginary, social, and emotive right-brain aspects of intelligence, nor the spiritual aspect of being human. Musicality is a full-brain intelligence as it uses both hemispheres of the brain; mathematical (beat) and auditory (harmony). See Human Intelligences above.
Switch on your brain
Psychologist Howard Gardner identified 7 Intelligences…however, I added a few I felt were not covered adequately in the 7…