How to calculate Presenteeism Costs
Obviously this calculation would vary depending on the industry, job grade, seniority, technicality or specialty of the position, skill level, etc., but there is a ballpark that you can use to make an estimate….
You need to know your absenteeism costs first. Get your Instructions to calculate Absenteeism Costs gratis
Then come back for your …. FREE presenteeism costs calculation instructions
What is presenteeism?
Presenteeism, as mentioned before, is when people are present, looking busy, doing the absolute minimum, or not getting much done at all…
… Dawdling, go slow, shuffling papers, chatting to everyone in the office, staying away on extended lunch, tea and smoke breaks, not to mention getting stuck in the loo for extended periods of time, chatting to friends and family on the phone as often as possible, chronic involvement with their cellphone, distracted by social media, text messages, and other ‘stuff’, excessive ‘online research’ and so on…. We have seen it all.
What presenteeism is costing you … find out here ⇒ FREE presenteeism costs calculation instructions
There are many reasons for presenteeism
- might not have enough work or bored with it
- might have enough work, but not sure how to (lack of skills) or what to do next (lack of direction)
- might be unhappy, disgruntled, disappointed, feel slighted, disrespected, angry, or just not agree with the instructions/ tasks/ directive
- might not have enough authority or autonomy to make decisions necessary to move forward, and the ‘person in charge’ is not available
- might have a problem with supervisor, management, colleague, customer, supplier and have no appropriate way of dealing with it
- might be against their better judgment, mores, ethics, religion, or values to do what has been asked of them
- might not know how to address an issue and rather than confront it, they sidestep it, avoid it, or postpone dealing with it
- might have a problem with the organization and the direction it is taking
- might fear the wrath of others if they should do it wrong, so they procrastinate
- …. and there are many more….
Under the radar
Most of these are things that are probably simmering below the surface, and unlikely to come out into the open. Even if you should ask your employees, you are unlikely to get a 100% truthful answer because they probably feel that it would be a career limiting move. The only way to get better feedback from your workforce is to have an independent staff audit to gauge employee’s disposition
Want help finding out what presenteeism costs you?
To find out what employees are really thinking, the staff audit needs to be done by an independent outside company, like you would with a financial audit. Staff must be protected; they must have no comebacks, so their responses are kept private – ‘as if anonymous’.
The reasons for an independent staff audit are similar to having an independent financial audit – so you get a true reflection of what is going on in your organization – without interference from people within who have a ‘vested interest’ in ‘fiddling the results’.
… apply here ⇒ Get a quote for a Staff Audit
Benefits of having a Staff Audit
Get great feedback; how your staff feels about your organization, also about their colleagues, managers, supervisors, working conditions and environment, etc.
Improves morale because employees feel they have a say, that you value their opinion, and it makes them feel they have greater autonomy than before
How happy are you at work?
What’s bugging you at work? Tell us about your Struggles
Want to blow the whistle? Blow the whistle
Want to report an accident waiting to happen, or has already happened, but nothing done about it? Report Accident
Vote for your organization, or another (government, municipalities, group, corporate, organization, company, or NGO) to have a staff audit. Vote for staff Audit