The best way to find out what is going on below the radar is to ask your employees.
However, if there are real problems, they might not be talking to you for a myriad of reasons, and it might be better to get someone in from the outside so that staff can feel safe enough to ‘speak their minds’ without fear of comebacks. The feedback you get this way could be life saving…
We have found that safe, secure, confidential assessments are essential to get the best feedback.
There are various options depending on the complexity of your organization and what information you wish to access.
Grievances and gripes affect productivity
- Absenteeism and AWOL; whether employees turn up for work or not.
- Presenteeism* how people turn up – whether they find all kinds of excuses to take time off, ‘go slow’, look busy, but get only the barest minimum of work done.
- Staff turnover; don’t lose your key staff because they have no way of telling you what’s bothering them.
Grievances and gripes affect relationships at work
- As you know from experience, problems have a tendency to spread, grow and get worse over time… it gathers moss along the way.
- Find out what people think of management, the organization, colleagues, working conditions and how they are treated.
- Discover what is going on below the radar; what’s working and what not
- Uncover potential risks, problems, issues.
- Prevent emergencies, costly lawsuits, workmen’s compensation and/or rehabilitation.
- Get excellent feedback that highlights potential growth areas and opportunities.
Nominate/ vote for an organization to have a staff audit!
If you wish things would change and feel frustrated because you have no way of initiating change, or getting management to listen, vote for a staff audit [where staff will tell you what’s working and what not].
NB: Get as many colleagues and/or customers as possible who feel the same way to fill in this form. The more votes a company gets, the more likely they will be to do something about it.