RED FLAG: 90% of staff are unhappy
Independent research findings show that 90% of staff are unhappy.
The following come to mind…
- When people feel slighted, short-changed, ignored, undervalued, disrespected, etc. there are consequences. People make you pay, intentionally or not.
- When people think they are treated unfairly, it affects their well-being and disposition. It matters not whether fairness has anything to do with it, its all based on their perceptions.
- When people are expected to do things that go against their grain/ values (moral, ethical, religious, sense of what’s right and wrong, and so on), they get disappointed, angry, disapproving, and they ‘hate’ you for it.
- When people are bullied, harassed, suffer abuse, are mismanaged, …. (it happens more than you care to know)… obviously they get upset (understandably), and they do the things normal human beings (and other animals) do when they feel threatened; they fight (make your life a misery), flee (lose key people), or play dead (hide, do as little as possible).
- and so on…
How do they cost you?
- My 45-years experience in government institutions, corporate environments, small business and non-profits have shown me that discontent people find excuses to come in late and leave early, are sick more often (take sick leave), and when they are at work they potter around looking busy, but barely get the bare minimum done.
- Unless you have a clocking system people take long lunches, and tea brakes, go buy food in the middle of the day and stay away for extended periods of time, go for smoke breaks and take their mates with them (who may or may not smoke and call it business meetings, but talk about rugby, soccer or whatever).
- Disgruntled people are more likely to have accidents, cause mishaps and upsets, are difficult to work with for a myriad of reasons and often display passive aggressive behavior, have short fuses and get upset at the least provocation.
- Discontent people are more likely to lose things, or re-appropriate stock, equipment, or tools because the company ‘owes’ them.
- I have also come across incidences where people have caused emergencies so that they can work overtime and get more pay.
- This is but surface and straightforward things, I have not even begun to mention verbal, physical and sexual abuse, discrimination, harassment, bullying, fraud and so on.
Your staff make you pay
So… your workforce make you pay in insidious ways i.e. costs time & money which has an impact on your bottom line.
Find out what’s not working
I think as a business owner, manager, or director I would like to know if this is happening in my organization – and a good way to find out is if I had more eyes and ears than my own.
People notice things even if they are not directly involved and might be jealous that they are not included in ‘the deal’ and not benefiting from whatever shenanigans are going on so are likely to ‘rat them out’.]
Another reason they would ‘tell’ is if they are disgusted because it goes against their religion, sensibilities, ethics, moral judgement, because they think it is the right thing to do…
Employees need a grievance forum
There are many more reasons staff would like to have a forum where they can ‘get it off their chest’, and be able to talk about things that aren’t working in the organization and how it affects them negatively…
Your workforce need the opportunity to talk about things that are bothering them. Talking face-to-face is not the way to do it because they fear it might impact them negatively.
So, to get to a closer approximation of the truth, you need to provide a safe space for your workers to speak up.
Anonymity provides safety
For staff to feel safe, you need to give them a forum where they can speak openly, anonymously, with guaranteed confidentiality.
Get an independent, external Genius Within Staff Audit.
A confidential, independent, external staff audit could solve most of your staff problems and save yourself a lot of aggravation, time and money, while boosting morale, as well as profits.
You could become the super-hero of your company.
Get a Quote: Business Owners, Directors, CEOs, HR Managers and Team Leaders
Click here to get a quote ⇒ Get a quote.
Nominate your company: Temporary Staff, Permanent Employees, Other Workforce
Click below so you can nominate your organization to get a Staff Audit done to give you the opportunity to air your views, improve working conditions, working environment, and work circumstances.
Don’t keep it to yourself. Help others get the opportunity to improve their lot in life as well.
Please share using the icons below; Social Media, or send an e-mail message to your colleagues and friends!