There is a vast difference between thriving and surviving
Micro story about a frog
If you put a frog in a hot pan, it will jump out, but if you put a frog in cold water and you heat it up ever so slowly, the frog won’t jump out, and it will die.
Nasty story no?
Looking back, some of the jobs I was in – were like that.
Some of the relationships I have been in – were like that too.
While you are ‘in it’ (the job / relationship/ whatever) – you do not notice how much things deteriorate… until one day it’s too much and you know it’s time to make a move. Yet, sometimes you try and stick it out way past the ‘sell-by-date’, always hoping things will improve, maybe remembering ‘the good times’, or because the ‘heat’ gets turned down a bit and it becomes bearable again.
The funny thing with us humans is, that moving to the next job or relationship (as many of us know), is not the answer. We get the same, or different, sh.t there. Sometimes it is the same sh.t just in different garb.
Examples of this:
- You need a bigger size clothes year after year because you keep adding on those extra pounds/ kilograms, long after you stopped growing (lengthwise).
- You avoid your partner/ spouse / boss/ subordinate/ parent/child as much as possible because it is too difficult/ unpleasant/ upsetting to deal with the situation.
- You stick it out in a job because you have to put food on the table, pay the lease/ rent/ car/ university, college or school fees, you are waiting for your pension, or some other reason; politics/ economy, age or other demographics.
- You stay in a relationship because you feel a sense of obligation, your options are limited, maybe due to habit, or some other conscious/ unconscious fear or worry.
- You have grown accustomed…. just like the frog.
What’s bugging you
- What are you putting up with?
- What are you tolerating?
- Where do you feel you have no choice?
- What are you struggling with?
- What challenges, issues, problems have you had for as long as you can remember?
Get out of the ‘hot water’
If you would really-really like to get out of the ‘hot water’ tell me about it here ⇒ Struggles
If you know of someone who can benefit, send them to this page…..